G & G were nice enough to watch the kids for a day while we went on an 11 mile hike... yes 11 MILES!! 5.5 in (which is actually UP) and 5.5 out. It was really fun. I can't say we were the most prepared hikers however. We only had one backpack and it was Owens....
Yep, it's a Cars backpack. We so looked like we knew what we were doing!!
The hikers. Which did I mention there are known bears where we were hiking? A ranger came to the cabin the week after we left and told them a Grizzly and her cubs were seen on the cabin road just that week. So I was a little worried. We did have some bells (well actually they were keys and random things hanging from a carabeener on the backpack) and we clapped every so often to scare anything away. Marting said he would take one for the team if we were approached by a bear, but I'm not sure how we would have gotten that message to the bear. So I was just really happy we didn't run into any!
Ok, you need to click on this picture to appreciate how far 5.5 miles is. We hiked ALL WAY TO THE TOP of that mountain!!! And Brain and Martin have long legs and liked to go fast. We made it in a little over 2 hours. I. Was. Tired.
We did have one little mishap along the way! Apparently, you can't go to Coffin Lake without someone falling down. This time it was Martin!
Do you notice the incline??? Let me point it out to you.
WE MADE IT!!!! And it really was a pretty lake.
We enjoyed a nice little picnic and Martin and Brian did a little fishing.
YAY!!! He caught one!
YAY!! He caught one too!!
We enjoyed the peacefulness of the lake. And watching Brain and Martin trying to fish.
So Martin tried out a new lure (I think that's what they're called) but instead of going smoothly into the lake it landed in the tree!!!
He did manage to get it out!
Martin's "Bringing sweaty back"!!!
We made it down the mountain in an hour and a half. It was so much prettier on the way down. I was actually able to concentrate on the wild flowers instead of my breathing!
Brian took a short cut... it was significantly shorter. I stayed on the trail, it was significantly safer!
We had to cross three different streams. This was the biggest. It doesn't look intimidating but if you are trying to cross it without getting your shoes wet, it took some maneuvering.
And we were back to Hebgen Lake! Now that's my kind of hike... a lake on both ends!!
While we were gone, Owen and Grandma had created an ingenious river. Owen was very proud of it!!
I love it when they spontaneously hug!
We were tired at the end of the day, but it was a really great day!!



































No comments:
Post a Comment