A few Friday's ago.... in the morning we started off with a 2012 Ford C Max and a 2012 Ford Fiesta...
By Friday afternoon we had a 2012 Ford Fiesta and a 2012 Ford Focus. These are some of the benefits of working for a car company!! Brian will be trading in his Fiesta every 3 months and my car will rotate every 6 months. Pretty fun to always drive a new car!
My birthday happened to fall on a Sunday. I wasn't all that interested in cooking for myself and we had been talking about going for a traditional Sunday Roast so we took advantage of the day and went to The Kilns Hotel and Restaurant and enjoyed a very yummy meal!!! The kids plates were suppose to be child sized!!
I came across a Castle that was hosting an English Heritage Jousting Event and I really wanted to go and see it. I had it on the calender and was all for it... and then looked on a map and realized it was about three hours away. I somehow convinced Brian to have a day trip and I'm so glad we did. It was so fun!!
The Castle was outside of Derbyshire. I love these two little goofballs that did really well on the drive. Look, they are still even friends!!
We got there at the perfect time. We were able to pick a great seat outside the arena and had about a 30 minute wait until the jousting began. But while we were waiting there was a Falconry Event going on to keep us entertained. (BTW, the British are totally into Falconry for some reason. I haven't figured it out yet)
They were trying really hard to keep our attention, but I'll be honest, they lost me.
And definitely lost the kids! It looks like they were more interested in watching the grass grow than the birds!! Actually they were just enjoying their pretzels....
and an apple.
But soon the fun was getting ready to start.
First we met all the Knights.... This Yellow guy from the East
The Green Guy from the West (he actually got hurt in the battle, poor guy)
The red Knight from the South
and the crowd favorite... the Blue Knight from the North!!!
Then there was the actual jousting. I couldn't figure out how they actually kept score, but it was fun to watch and to cheer for the Blue one. I think Owen wanted the Blue Knight and Ellika was going for the Red one. I think the Yellow one actually won.
My little Knight.
Musicians
There were several tents set up with people portraying life during this time frame. I think Brian would have liked to talk to all of them but the kids lost interest after a couple minutes.
I love the views from all the castles we have been to.
This castle was more ruins than anything else, but the kids loved running from room to room and climbing all over the walls.
Oh, I love her!
They were fascinated with looking up all of the chimneys.
This sign took me a minute to figure out..... apparently there's a back staircase.
This is what they look like after the first 3 minutes of looking at wall murals!
We watched these blacksmiths for quite awhile. It was interesting to see how hard it was to make things that we take for granted.
The kids got a little bored watching the blacksmith, but loved playing in the dirt!
Hmmmm..... two of these do not belong :)
And on our way out we got to see the Blue Knight again!
Bolsover Castle. It was a long drive, but the kids did great and we had lots of fun as a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment