As some of you might have known, it was the Queen of England's 60th year to be on the throne this year and England has been celebrating like crazy! I didn't quite know what to expect, but it was fun to be here and get in on a little of the action. The Friday before the Jubilee began, Owen's school had a party. They had a non-uniform day and were able to wear anything in red,white, and blue. The kids were also instructed to make a crown/hat for the celebration. Don't they look cute in their little British clothes?!
Owen and I worked on making his crown. So when I went to the craft store, this was the ONLY crown available and since I wasn't sure what was expected, I figured it would do. So we paper mache'd the British tissue paper to it and called it good. It wasn't until Brian came home and asked why I bought him a Tiara that I started to get nervous.
Ellika got into the red, white, and blue action too.
When we got to school and saw all the other hats/crowns I have to admit I was a little embarrassed by our creation. But I told Owen he looked great and his crown was awesome and although he did tell me how cool some of the other hats were (like Hudson's in the picture below... that thing was as big as him!) he seemed pleased with his and had a great day. If I were to be around during the next Jubilee, I would totally rock the crown. If only there would be a next time!
We have even gotten into the spirit of things at home. I wasn't able to put bunting up outside but I did get these cute Union Jack flags and Brian brought home a commemorative BritKat to share. We were actually in Wales for big 4 days of celebration, but we were able to watch it on TV. Our ward had a big Diamond Jubilee Street Party that looked like fun, but again we were gone. The event happen to fall on the same week that Owen had off school so we decided to use that time to see some of the country. But anyway, God Save The Queen!! (PS, did you know we totally stole their National Anthem? We changed the words and call it America the Beautiful)
On a side note, Ellika has started drawing people. This is so exciting as she has just been drawing circles. So of course we had to document it :)
Pretty good huh??
1 comment:
Way cute pictures your little girl drew. Way to go Elika!
Post a Comment