But the real reason we stopped here was to explore the three caves that are there. The biggest one was Dan-yr-ogof. It was really interesting.
I took a lot of pictures of the stalagmites and the other things, but the pictures didn't turn out so well. So you'll just have to take my word for it.
What I thought was really interesting was imagining the first explorers that discovered the caves and the tiny entrances they used to get inside them and the fact that they did it by candle light. I would never have done that.
The second cave was the Cathedral Cave. It was actually my favorite.
I loved that there was a little water spray that you could walk behind and I love the sound of falling water.
Also, if it suits you (totally a British phrase btw), you can get married inside the cave. Probably not my thing, but I guess it could make someones dreams come true.
There was also a play land, but because of the rain we didn't even show it to the kids.
So we got back in the car and drove about 30 minutes to Merthyr Tydfil, where our Bed & Breakfast was as well as a train ride through the park. Well.... at least, I thought it was through the park, and it was, but only about 30 minutes into the park. But the kids loved being on the train.
And we practically had the thing to ourselves.
We did get to see the beautiful lake.
And here was our fine engine.
And our drivers.
The weather was a real downer this day. Do you notice that we are wearing coats and it's JUNE!!! And the rain made it really cold. So I think Wales was beautiful and we were in the right area, but the rain made it hard to appreciate it. But looking at my kids smiling faces make me realize the day wasn't a complete bust. We did make some good family memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment