Friday, July 20, 2012

The Merxes go to London

 Owen has been dying to go on a double decker bus ride since we moved here, so finally we decided to go into London and figure out the bus.  But since it would be ridiculous to drive there, we walked over to the train station.  I love the train, by the way. 
 We started the afternoon in Covent Garden.  Remember the Easter Eggs?  Well apparently there was something going on with decorated phone booths.  That's the fun thing about living by such a big city, there is always something going on. So we checked them out.


 Then we walked over to the paella dish which I had been craving and was hoping to have and of course it was closed!!!  Who knows if I will EVER get to have it.  Then I'll probably be disappointed by it :) Anyway so we stopped at a pizza place and sadly to say, it wasn't that good.  Fun location, not so great food.
 But they did have coloring, that's always good.


 More phone booths.

 And finally we decided to take on the double decker.  So we chose some random bus stop and figured out where it would take us and then we waited and waited for the right bus number to come by.  I'm guessing about 10 buses stopped at our stop and passed us.  And finally the right bus number came but sadly it wasn't even a double decker!  What I love about Owen though is that he didn't even care.  He was just so super excited to be riding on a bus. 
 It was a little bright above ground.  Usually we travel via the tube.
 We took the bus to the Tower of London and the London Tower Bridge because I wanted to see the Olympic Rings that they have hanging there.  The above picture is of the Tower of London.  We haven't been inside yet, but I've heard good things about the tour. 

 Don't the rings look cool?  So fun to be here during the Olympics!
 After the tower we took another bus and the tube to the Hyde Park Chapel.  The chapel has been there for a long time but they have just added a visitor's center and they were having the open house that day.  We decided to not take the stroller because it's kind of a pain, so Ellika fell asleep while sitting on my lap on the tube ride and I carried her forever!  I was very happy to let her sleep in the pew at the church! 
 The Visitor's Center was really nice.  Owen was fascinated with the touch screens. 
 And of course he loved the statue of Christ.  I'm pretty sure he probably shouldn't have been this close, but he was so interested in looking at him and studying his hands. 
 The outside.  It is a very cool building.

 Then we walked into the Science Museum for a little bit.
 All in all, it was a very fun day. 
 This is not from the same night, but some night when Brian went to check on the kids before going to bed.  This is how he found both of them.  Sleeping straight is overrated.

 We like to keep our kids super busy, so as soon as they sit down they fall asleep.... like Ellie at church.
 This is one of our very favorite books to read... "My Daddy Snores".  We read it so much awhile ago that both kids could repeat the story word for word.
 This is the inside of the Hyde Park Chapel.  The right side is a wall of window's. 
 Picnic in our local park.
 I was gone somewhere for something and Brian told me the kids wanted to play outside for awhile.  So he let them play and was inside doing something very important (certainly not watching tv) and when he walked outside to check on them, this is how he found them.  They had gathered everything they needed to have a picnic.  I love their imaginations.
 And I love that they love each other... most of the time.

 Ooops... a few more from London.  My kids are getting pretty good at public transportation.


No comments: