Friday, May 4, 2012

Dover

A couple Saturdays ago we drove to the city of Dover.   It was around a two hour drive.  We arrived at 10:00 right when the castle opened.  As Brian was getting our tickets the kids were running around outside.  All was going well until Ellika stopped, looked up at me with a panicked expression, and peed her pants.  Agh!  Of course I had brought extra unders, but had forgotten to bring extra clothes.  When am I ever going to learn?!  So we cleaned up the best we could and the poor girl had to just wait for things to dry.  So sorry Ellika, I promise to be better prepared next time!
After we got all that situated we decided to start our tour at the Secret Wartime Tunnels: Operation Dynamo.  Rescue from Dunkirk.   So these elaborate tunnels were built during Napoleon's time and have been used in every war from that time up to the Cold War.   During WWII they were instrumental in rescuing the British Men from Dunkirk.  There is now a 60 min. exhibition with light and sound effects from this time period that we went through.  It was really interesting.  My favorite part was that we were put in this room where the radio was going from a broadcast that would have been playing at that time and you hear them announce they are now in the war.  It just made me think of how awful a feeling that must have been.  Anyway, the rest of the tour was a bit of a blur as I was tyring to sneak chocolate buttons to my kids (no snacks are aloud) and keep them quiet for everyone else.  But the things I heard and saw were definitely interesting. 

Dover is the closest place in England to France.  If you look across the channel you can see France only 17 miles away.  Cool huh! 
Trying to get a better look at France.  Putting money in it would probably have been more helpful :)
After the tunnel we walked up to see the castle.  It was really fun.  Since I'm never going to remember everything about each castle, we have bought a guide book at each for me to refer too!  There has been a structure on this hilltop since the Roman invasion of Britain in AD 43 but Henry II remodeled what was there and built the Great Tower (which stands in the middle).  It is now decorated in that time period. 
Owen and Brian standing in front of the Great Tower.
The top of the Tower.
Looking out over the English Channel and to the church and lighthouse that are even older than the tower.
Looking out at the harbor and the city.

Looking down at the countryside.

They loved running on the roof. 
This was going down.... there were lots of stairs!!!
The Great Tower

Henry II's bedroom.

I can't remember who this guy was.  But they have a few actors there portraying what life was like during Henry II's time. 
Owen was getting a lesson on helmets by the King himself!  The royal guards wore the full face masks and the lesser guards wore just the top hat things. 
This is the well chamber.  It sunk down over 122 m (400ft.) That is as deep as Salisbury Cathedral's spire is high.  Quite an astonishing feat of excavation!!
We didn't get to see all of the castle grounds because we had a boat tour scheduled for 2:00 that afternoon.  But it was really neat that it was high on the hill and looked out over the city and the water.  Someone come visit so we can go back to these places and see what I missed the first time :)

We signed up for a boat tour to take us out into the English Channel and see the White Cliffs up close.  It was awesome!  They don't have kid sized pants which made me laugh.  They did tighten up at the bottom so they don't let air in, but she looked like an oompa loompa when she was all dressed!
I thought it might be a little cold so they were dressed pretty warm and then the company put the waterproof pants and jackets on and the life jackets.  I was glad I brought a hat and gloves for them too though. 
Getting everyone ready.  The adults had these red life jackets that if needed you pull the string and it inflates. 
They also gave us goggles and we sit close to the water and there was lots of spray!  Ellika didn't want to wear them over her eyes though.
Everyone on board!!!!  Owen wore his goggles the whole time. 

We left out of Dover Marina.  It was cool because there were super large ships also coming in and going out and we were so tiny compared to all of them.

A view of the castle from the water.
The water was super rough.  I actually felt like we were white water rafting!  I have to say, being a mom takes away some of the excitement however.  I kept thinking about all the "what-ifs".  Somehow I still managed to have a good time.  Everytime the boat would slow down, Ellika would yell, "Go faster!!!"  Owen however, didn't really love it until we were safely back on land :)
Aren't they beautiful?  I can't remember how far they go, maybe a few miles.  It is the first distinguishable thing that you can see when coming from France.   Our tour guide actually said he can get across the channel in our little boat in 45 minutes.   I think the ferry takes about 20 minutes or so. 

These cute little houses were at the edge of the cliffs.  I would live there!
We took the boat out along the cliffs for about 45 minutes and then turned around and came back.  Both Owen and Ellika were both able to all asleep.  I have no idea how!  And we did get wet too.  I even had the goggles on for awhile.  But here's a tip for the future if anyone comes and we do this- do not sit on the back right.  They were soaked!!
Hahahaha.  I have no idea where her face is because I think the goggles were still on top of her head and not on her eyes when she feel asleep. 

Here was our vessel.  Not a big boat!  But I would go again if anyone else is interested!!
We took a walk along the boardwalk too. 
There are still lots of red telephone booths around towns.  Some of them have payphones in them and some of them are empty.  But it's such an English thing I dont' think they should ever take them down.

And here we are the following day on our way to church!  Another great weekend!

1 comment:

Amber said...

ha ha, i love the oompa loompa one of Ellika! Looks like such a fun time. I can't believe all the amazing experiences you are having!