Friday, May 25, 2012

Spy Birthday Party

 Birthday parties are a SERIOUS deal here.   Typically a family will rent out a hall, hire an entertainer, invite the two school classes (around 30 kids), provide food for children and adults as well as party favors.  Considering we have only been here two months before Owen's birthday, we opted for a much smaller party!!  Part of the problem was that people also send out invitations over a month before the event.  I started calling parents about a week before.  Three of Owen's little friends already had plans but two little boys were able to come.  So, it was very small but thanks to www.servingpinklemonade.blogspot.com, I think they all had lots of fun! 
 We had a Spy Party Theme.  We started the party with an art project with ink pads and finger paints.  A little messy, but very fun. 

 Elliot and his mom.  Elliot is in the class just older than Owen at church.  He was loving the ink.

 When that was over we headed to the Laser Beams with the Mission Impossible Theme music in the background.  It was funny because they would only go through when the music was playing.  It definitely added to the fun!  I wish I would have bought at least two things of streamers to add to the effect.  Next time! 
 I thought the sliding on the belly technique was pretty smart.

 Next we play the "Secret Code" game... aka Telephone.  Ellika was a bit of a weak link! 
 But a really cute one!!
 It was pretty funny to see what message got to the end of the group.  Mostly it was shadlnfoenoeinlei... or something like that :)


 It was so funny watching them try to whisper to one another.  We also tried to play "Button Button Who's Got the Button" (but it didn't go over very well), and we played, "Special Agent Angie Says" (the kids took turns being the special agent and they loved that), Hide and Go Seek outside, and then I gave them 5 clues and they had to find whatever I had asked them to do.  When they completed all the clues they got to eat lunch. 

 We took a break and had pizza.  Funny story.  I assumed you could just order pizza in the morning and have it delivered around 11:30.  No.  The Pizza store didn't even open until 12:00.  So Brian went to the grocery store two times that day to get me things I needed.  We had pizza, grapes, and Chrystal Light for lunch.  The Chrystal Light was strictly because it gives off a great mustache which is perfect for a disguise! 
 And then presents. 
 And Cake!!!  This was the reason Brian went to the store the first time.  I realized the night before that I hadn't gotten a cake.  How could I miss this you ask?  I have no idea!!!  So the dinosaur cake has NOTHING to do with the spy theme, but it had lot's of frosting and was cool looking so it worked for us :)

 And then it was just party time!  The kids went back for more Laser Beams.  They got a little crazy and knocked it all down after awhile, but Owen loved putting it back up and doing it all over again the next day. 
 The party favors were Super Spy Kits.  They had binoculars, notebook, and pen, sun glasses, funny nose glasses, and a dart gun. 



 Owen, Elliot (from church) and Arun (from school)

 Ellie got a little Spy Kit too. 


 Checking out the kit. 
It wasn't quite up to par with the kids birthday parties at his school.  But the kids had a fun time and Owen loved it.  And that makes it perfect!! 

No comments: