Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Audley End

 Wow, I am behind a bit in blogging.  I thought when Owen started school, I would have all this extra time to blog but apparently I was wrong!!  A few weeks ago, there was a "Bank Holiday" and Brian had the day off.  We decided to drive to this BEAUTIFUL home which is in the county we live.... almost like down the street from us :)  It is called Audley End.  Wouldn't that be cool to have a name for your house or estate?  This is the front of the home.
 These are the stables.
 This is the back and the garden.  So gorgeous!!! 
 The kids loved all the space to run around!!
 I have recently been introduced to the drama series of Downton Abbey.  For those of you who haven't seen it, GO RENT IT!!!  I ordered Series 1&2 and have watched them all with my visiting teachers (the Bishop's wife and their 17 year old daughter).  Anyway, the series is about the wealthy people living in the manor and the servants that work there.   This is a picture of the servants wing.  I was probably more interested in it since watching the shows. 
 I'm amazed with how much work the servant's did and how it would have been to prepare grand meals for the wealthy.
 This was the laundry room.  There were movies playing on the screen for demonstration.  You can kind of see it in this picture.
 The landscaping was really neat.  I loved these bushes or trees, they were really tall.
 Because we were there on a holiday, there were several demonstrations and activities going on.  We were able to watch the hounds come out.  They came from the stables to the front of the home.
 I can't remember exactly how many hounds they said were common in a hunt but at least 100 and the men know them all my name and the hounds will respond to their names.  It was really interesting to watch.

 The Lady was the one doing the talking and telling us about the hounds while the other two horsemen kept them busy.  Can you imagine riding side saddle?  I mean, really??
 It was really interesting.... even my kids were totally enthralled.

 We were also able to watch a horse/army presentation.   They did some drills.  My favorite was when they had to ride around a stab a head of lettuce off a post.  Pretty cool.
 Again, the kids loved it.
 You could then pet the horses afterwards and talk to the riders.  Neither of my kids were interested in that.
 And you know it's a hit if there's a playland there!!! 
 Another view of the Stables.  Gorgeous!!! 
And one last look at the home.

No comments: