Saturday, August 4, 2012

Awesome Kids

Our last day started off bright and early.  We woke the kids up at 6:00 am so we could catch the ferry at 6:50 to leave the Island.  We brought breakfast with us.



We walked the 2 miles through Straslund back to the train station.




We boarded the 10:14 train to Berlin.  By the way... I love trains.  I would travel by train anyday. 


The kids have lots of space, can move around, can use the bathroom, and I don't have to stress about driving or directions.  Seriously, trains are awesome.

To keep the kids happy, they had lunch at McDonalds at the train station but Brian and I didn't because we were saving our appetites for something much, much better.

This restaurant was a favorite of the missionaries when Brian was on his mission.  They have done some work to it and built a whole building where it used to be just a little stand but the food was just as wonderful as he remembered and I remembered from 7 years ago.
Have you ever had a doner?  I think it's sliced lamb, veggies, and yummy sauce... but whatever it is, it's really good!!
We took the 100 bus around town a bit.  We got off at Brandenburg Gate and walked through Tiergarten Park.  Ellika was actually happy when I took this picture, she just thought the mad face was more fun to do.
The park was beautiful.

We walked to the Siegessaula (pronounced Ziga Zoula by me).  It is in the middle of the park and you have a great view of Berlin if you make it to the top....
Which we did...
On serious round-a-bout!

Both kids made it all the way to the top!!  I was very proud of them. 




Notice how far away Brandenburg Gate is?  Remember we walked that whole way?  Crazy!






We then took the bus back to this shopping center, KaDeWe, which I can't wait to go back to when I have lots of money.  We took the train back to the airport.  Boarded our plane at 10:00 pm and made it back to our house around 1:30 am.  THIS was actually the longest day of Owen's life.  Both kids did so awesome.  Ellie took a short nap earlier in the day and was awake until the last 5 minutes of the plane ride and thankfully stayed asleep most of the way through customs (that took over an hour, ridiculous!) and Owen was awake the whole day but then with the promise of a cookie if he slept on the plane, closed his eyes and slept for the flight.  He however had to wait in the super long line at customs.  Poor kid.  They both deserve Traveler Medals for how great they were!!

No comments: