Friday, March 30, 2012

My 6 year project and Shannon visits

 6 years ago I was shopping at a thrift store in Buffalo, NY with a co-worker.  We found this really cute chair that I thought would be fun to re-upholster.  Of course I had never done this and I'm not really crafty, but my co-worker said her mom could help me out.  So she called her mom and she said that would be great, but then circumstances came up and she was not able to help me.  I was never adventurous to try it myself so in my basement in sat for almost four years.  Before Ellika was born, Emily R. and I thought we would do it and started taking off some material but we didn't get too far and so it sat again for two years.  Then in walk my friend Tammy and a deadline and ta-da!!!  We did it!!!!
 I'm really sad I didn't do a before picture.  Can you tell I don't do these kinds of things often!!  These are a few of the pictures we took as we were taking the material off for our pattern.  I hope it gives you an idea of what we were working with. 

 Tammy was very generous with her time and talents and let us invade her home for 30 plus hours over about a week and a half to finish the chair.  Ellika had apparently had enough this day!!
 That's me doing all the work.... hahahahahahahah.  I did do most of the stapling, but it was under Tammy's direction and wisdom.  I was seriously in awe over how well she was able to put all the pieces back together and how fantastic it looked when we were done.  We took all the pieces off and I cut out the fabric, then she sewed a few pieces together, and then we stapled and maneuvered our way through it.  It was Tammy's first time to upholster something too.  I'm pretty sure she vowed to never do it again!!
 I look like I know what I'm doing, right?
 And Ta-da!!!!!  Here it is!!!!  Isn't it the cutest chair??!!  I'm really hoping it still looks like this when it arrives off the boat and through customs because we put a lot of time and effort into this thing!  And it goes perfectly with my bedroom and I already know right where I'm going to put it!!

 Tammy is so awesome, she even made me two toss pillows with some of the left over fabric.  How wonderful is she?? Thank you so much Tammy!!!!
 The rush to get the chair done also coincided with the week before the movers came and the weekend that Shannon came to visit.  Poor Shannon had to spend the weekend helping us get ready to move and finish the chair.  She was so helpful though and as always fun to have around.  We hope that just because we made her clean the basement and pack our suitcases and air shipment she still might someday come visit us again! 

 Ellika was super grouchy when we were getting ready to take Shannon to the airport, so Shannon and Owen joined her in doing the mad face.  Also, Ellika is wearing her pajamas at 3:00 in the afternoon and I can't remember what the blanket around her neck was for, but for some reason she had to have it.
Ellika did get happy enough to at least smile.  I think she was just sad that we were taking Shannon to the airport.  Both my kids love her and have asked when she is coming to visit.  Ellika was proud of herself for using the potty last week and asked if she could call Shannon and tell her.  We didn't have a phone at that time though.  Come again Shannon!!

2 comments:

Chad and Stacey said...

I love the chair! The fabric you picked is super cute. I want a matching chair! I like that Ellie is still wearing pj's at 3:00. It passes for a dress though, or we can say it does anyway :)

Ryan + Angie said...

I love, love, love your chair! It makes me want to try to reupholster something. Can't wait to hear about your new life in another country. Keep the posts coming