Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A time for play

 While we were in England finding a house, we did find some time to play and relax too.  Here is Brian in our Hotel room trying to rest up and get use to the time change.
 Heheh, they really do have red telephone booths!
 I had not thought that England was known for great food, but we had wonderful meals every night. So I'm excited to go back to a few of the places we found.
 We went into this old church.  I love how old everything is and how much history is there.


 This is the Billericay High Street.  This is within walking distance to my house (which is good because I don't plan on driving a lot!).  This is where the grocery store and several other shopping places are.  I am excited to walk around so much!!

 Here isBrian getting in on the wrong (but actually right) side of  our rental car.  It a Ford Fiesta and I thought it was too big for the roads.  Driving my F150 there would be impossible!! 

 This was our hotel, The Kilns.  It also had the best food in the restaurant there.  This is the first place we are eating out at when we get there! 
Isn't it neat looking?
 Our last day there we were able to take the train into London.  Again, our house will be about a 10 min. walk to the train station and then it's a 30 min. train ride into London.  It was so fun to be able to walk around and see everything!  We spent the entire day walking/riding the tube from place to place.  I don't think the kids would have made it, but it was such a fun day!!  Our first stop was St. Paul's Cathedrale.  I don't really know the significance of it, but what I wanted to do was to take the stairs up to the very top lookout and you can see all of the city, however they were doing construction on that floor so we just stood outside and took pictures.  Luckily we'll be there for three years!

So I thought that the red buses were just tour buses that you see in movies, turns out they are everywhere because they are the city buses.  Huh, who knew?  We didn't take the buses though becuase Brian explained that riding the Tube(the subway) was like Algebra and taking the buses was more like calculus.... and he know's I'm not good at math :)
 From there we walked across the Millinial Bridge across the River Thames and then walked along the bank of the river. 
 There were several bridges across the river and one of them is the famous "London Bridge", however, I have no idea which one.  We saw signs pointing we were going in the right direction but no sign to say which one it actually was.  I guess we'll learn more when we live there. 
We are on the Millinial Bridge with the Cathedrale in the background. 
 Here is the financial district.  So whenever you are watching your financial world news, look for these cool buildings.
 Here is the bridge we just walked across with the Cathedral in the background.
 And here is Shakespeare's Globe Theater.... I need to do a little more research on this since I'm pretty sure it's just a replica and I'm assuming this is in the correct location.  But again, more research is needed!
 I just thought this was a neat shopping plaza.
 And me us front of Tower Hill (you think that's the London Bridge don't you?  Well, it's not, it's the Tower Hill Bridge)

 Thought this was a funny shaped building.
 This is Butler's Wharf.  I loved how the two buildings shared a balcony space with one another.
 Since I was there as a a tourist and not a resident yet,  I could take pictures of silly things that I thought were cool, like their mailboxes.  Aren't they cute?  My mom would love them because they are red!
 As we were walking along the river we could see this building and thought it was probably something important but we weren't sure what.  Turns out it's the Tower of London.  I should have probably done some research before heading off to sight see!!! 
 This is a super huge ferris wheel.  It's called the London Eye.   We didn't actually go into anything while we were there.  We mostly wanted to just walk around and see where everything was and to get a feel for the city.  Again, we'll have three years and lot's of visitor's to see the sights with!!
 Big Ben!!!!
 Or as Owen knows it from Cars 2.... Big Bently!

I actually don't know what this is.  It was on the other side of the street from Big Ben.  But it's a cool building. 

No comments: